12.27.2022

watercoloring drybrush grass

 For the final water coloring tutorial challenge of the year Linda has shared this using a dry brush for quick grass backgrounds from Wendy Powell-Jones seen here on YouTube

I had watched the video and then set out to recreate something similar without really doing it in a step by step type thing as I did this stealing time between the holiday events so, I think it turned out ok.


 The first step was to do a soft wash of yellow and purples for the background. I am not a fan of either color but, I gamely did so and let it dry. ( This is on Strathmore 400 series wc paper) 

Funny true story, on the practice strip I got really cool dry grass blades, on this taped off sheet I got some big blobs of paint. 


at this point I decided to start dropping in color blades with a rigger brush and I remembered there was supposed to be flowers in the grass, so I started adding some in over the grass without having masked some blank space before hand. oops. ( also did not sketch a thing either) 

Pulled the tape off added a Riley & Co. sentiment to the corner and then added just a few splatters to the grass and more red blooms. of course some went into the dry sky and I decided they were flying bugs rather than stray splatter. ( that's my story)

When the paint was dry I did run it through the big shot in a Spellbinders rectangle die and used some textured green Bazzill for an A6 base under it. ( this one is flat to the cardfront) 

I probably should have used some foam tape as even though I did tape this to a board, its not perfectly flat it has a twist going on. might stick it under some books for a while. That's about if from me, Hope you are all doing well. Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to play along with us, you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers.





No comments: