7.26.2020

Watercoloring

There is a watercoloring challenge on Wednesdays at SCS now and a couple of weeks ago it was to do a wet on wet paint where the video showed a lady doing this freehand with two contrasting colors. and what caught my attention about it was, she was using a big brush. ( well, to me I tend to reach for the smallest ones in the jar when I use mine) So, I decided to try this and did this pile of leaves which I set aside.

So, this is just cheap Strathmore WC paper from Micheal's because, I have not practiced this medium all that much and I figure if I can learn to make things look OK on it then eventually I will really appreciate good paper eh? ( that's the thought anyways) I also dug out my very first collection of watercolors which are Golden QoR ones. and a #10 round brush.
The video showed some clusters of leaves and I tried that ( the top left was my first batch going clock wise the olive-y green ish leaf on the bottom left was the last.) This is just watercolor there is no pencil shading over it.

And then this weekend the featured stamper was announced to be Debby Hughes. ( total fan girl here) I knew I had this pile of leaves and that would give me a change over picking a stamped leaf. ( I have *cough* Cough* bought all the SSS leaf sets because of Debby. So, I chose this card she made because, I love the color flow on the leaves and the CAS of the design. other changes are I flipped mine to landscape, and used a stitched die to frame the leaf panel. My dad's birthday is next month and his favorite word is "Awesome" so, this will be headed his way soon. This one finished out at A6 in real life.
This was a comedy of errors. The watercolor challenge this week was to do a salted background with dye ink reinkers on glossy cardstock. sounds simple right, yeah. So, I went upstairs in my work clothes and opened the broken china distress reinker added a couple drops. opened the Adirondack Stream bottle. and it went everywhere. all over the glossy card, my fingers, the bottle.  So, here I am working much quickly that you'd imagine, taking an aqua brush to drag through this ink, dumping kosher salt on it and trying to wipe ink off me and the bottle, I picked up the plastic container of baby wipes and braced it against the front of my shirt and you guessed it now I had ink there too so. I misted the top of the panel with water and walked away to save my shirt. ( I did do that) and I also still have a blue under my nail index finger on my left hand today. ( days later) So, last night I sprayed the panel with water again because, there really was not much in the way of resist rings from the first round of trying this. I dumped the salt back on. ( I have a tiny round Tupperware container with about 3 table spoons of kosher rock type salt in it and I just re use it for this technique over and over. there does not seem to be any point to getting new salt each time) when it was dry I cut it into strips and was debating adding a sea creature to the front and then I happened to see this Picked Fence Studios sentiment I had stamped and die cut when that set came in the mail that never really had an occasion to use. I probably could have used some "tokillya" after I seen the ink on my shirt ha ha. so, I decided this would work, went poking around in the blue embellishments box and found these tiny petaloo mulberry butterflies and decided it was " good enough"  This one is A2 in real life.
That's about it from me, hope you are doing well & thanks for stopping by.


No comments: