1.17.2023

Watercoloring Red Mugs

 This week Brenda has shared with us this tutorial on YouTube by Sisa in Wonderland. The video has her drawing her mug, with a tower of whipped cream on it and a star shaped cookie tucked on the rim. and I loved the colors but, I knew looking at it, that it would take me forever and a day to draw that. I also knew I had dies that had not cut a single thing yet, and in my head it sounded like hey, you can paint this and get all the details on the die cuts. win win. ha. 


The mug shaped tags are from Hero Arts, ( two piece mug tag) the cookie stars with icing pattern on the bottom are from Stampin' Up frosted gingerbread set and the larger mug on the top right corner with the candy cane is from The Ton Christmas Mug. these pieces were all cut from Strathmore 400 series wc paper I am trying to use up. 


First round of paints, they did warp right up. 


It's kind of funny just how much they warp when wet on this paper. it has almost a resist to it. ( not cotton ) 


more layers of paints. still wet.

 

 


So, I have a thing for Rae Dunn Mugs, esp. the red ones. and I have this sentiment set from Maker Forte that has that long tall farmhouse almost look to it called build a modern Christmas. after this layer or paints were dry I did stamp the words on with some Versafine Nocturn. and it really resists the watercolor paint also. And it took FOREVER to dry. I had the bright idea to glue on the creamy tops when I thought they were dry and transferred the black ink all over the cream and the red cups. So, they did received a couple more layers of paint after this. and I decided to add the words to the big cup and a few layers of paint on the center of it after stamping. the ink still resists the paint. either way stamp over the paint or paint over the stamping. Oh and the cookie with the iced frosting layer has been set aside into the use it up someday pile. ( it didn't mimic the what is being taught in that video so much) and because of that I also resisted the idea sprinkling some chunky glitter into the whipped toppings too.

A closer look at the painting on the larger tag. The tag base here was cut with some Recollections printed wood grain and a piece of thin white to back it under the mug from the largest tag in the Essentials by Ellen tag trio set. The whipped topping is up on foam dots so there was room to wiggle that cookie into place. The tag reinforcer hold diecut was from the spellbinders shortie tags set. the red sheer is from Stampin Up and the textured gingham is unknown. the iridescent cord is from May Arts.  


 The white on the cookie is some Dr. PH Martins bleed proof white. I have finally after all this time figured out not to put so much water in it so that it can dry 3-D ( yes, that is a thing) 


The red burlap string & iridescent cord on these is from May Arts. I have not decided if I want to tie on smaller tags with name to them yet, so I cut it a little long and will tuck all of these into the pile of Red & White tags I have going on building up to this years Big Day. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers. Thanks for stopping by.




No comments: