11.02.2021

Watercoloring "Poppies"

 This week we are taking a look at this video to paint a trio of Oriental Poppy colored abstract blooms. (you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers to play along with us) and the video tutorial it self can be seen at YouTube here.

So, starting in the top left corner was the very first attempt. it wasn't "too bad" but, it felt too big with this big brush, so as I kept going I kept trying to make them a little smaller with that big brush which didn't go so well. 


 This was done with a Size 10 round Silver black velvet on some practice Strathmore 400 series wc paper with Daniel smith paints. 

and then I decided to switch brushes to a Da Vinci mop brush

In a number two which holds a lot more water than a black velvet brush and I wasn't really thrilled with these either. I had intended to go down to a size 1 brush but, I ran out of light by this point. 

So the next attempt was also same paper same paints and a size 8 silver black velvet brush, the leaves went "OK" but, I was still not really thrilled with the blooms. I think part of the problem is the abstract feel of them. they have a poppy color going on but, the shape of these really does not look at all like the Oriental poppies I have grown in real life. 


So, I kept poking about in my brushes container and looked at this # 6 Princeton Neptune in a round and I thought it looked a little more like the brush being used in the video ( shape wise) and gave it another whirl. and then I decided to add lib some buds into the scene to make them feel a little more like Poppy flowers to me. I am happier with this version and may glaze on some more paint later tomorrow in the daylight before it becomes a card.


No comments: