5.28.2024

Watercoloring Chickens

 It's my turn to host the watercoloring challenge and I happened across this deceptively simple Chicken one seen here on YouTube by Patrick Visser Watercolor. and so, I had a scrap of Arches on hand and sketched a hen. The best tip he has in the sketching part is to make the head smaller than you would think it should be. And so, on this first panel I knew the hens were odd looking and best guess is the head is too big and the necks are too short. so they are kind of stumpy looking. 




Feeling that way, that the colors in the video were not even close to my own chickens and the fact that they were kinda short and round-ish. I grabbed a list pad while breakfast was cooking and tried it again, the whole make the necks longer and heads smaller.

Like so, I wanted them to look like they were having a conversation and that one of them should be saying something interesting or amusing. And our ladies tend to cluster together they all have that fear of missing out really bad. 



first layers of paints. These gals started out more golden then red-ish. 

I kept adding more paints to them as they dried and I got the chick in the center a little over worked.


And I decided I really should have them have a smart funny sentiment and I hemmed and hawed about that too long to decided and finally grabbed one. using a Misti to add it. but, I wanted it a little off set to the right but, I spun my Misti to be sideways since this paper was cut almost in an Slimline shape and then. 

It just looks odd to me now, and I am thinking about cutting the card down to an A6 or A2 size. this is currently an A7. and its a little too far to the left of the center for me. 

That's about it from me, if you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. Thanks for stopping by.




No comments: