8.02.2022

Watercoloring Geraniums

 This week Kia has shared a tutorial on painting Geraniums in a Vase seen here on YouTube. The artist also has a printable sketch seen here on her Facebook photo album page. I did not have much luck printing it so, I grabbed my phone and walked around the house shooting the ones I have blooming here at the moment. ( they look a little leggy and sad with all the heat we have been having so, a trim came after this) 


Front Porch steps pinks and reds Zonal Geraniums

Cropped view, you can click on these and see them larger and use your browsers back button to keep reading. 


an Burgundy/Red Ivy version. (Ignore the dying grass, we are focusing on keeping all the fruit trees, veggie garden and flowers watered more than the lawn during this continuing drought. )

A closer look at the petals this is so gorgeous in person. 


 
another pale pink this one is also a few years old.


This one is about 5 years old now, ( I haul it into the garage for the winter) 

Found this fun striped petals one this year, and the burgundy ivy one behind it too. ( its different than the one on the porch) 

So what I am seeing on my plants is the "ivy" leaf ones are more vine type movement and they are pretty much no reds on the leaves either. This one is darker than on the porch and more of a solid color on the petals. 

Now these, I put these in the garden shed last fall not in the garage, hubs thought I had "too many" flower pots in the garage so, I was willing to let these go. ( ha, they survived with no water all those months) went dormant and here they are baking away at the back door. I was pretty excited about that after the fact as this color does not seem to be in the stores this year here.

Its forest fire smog-y and hot hot hot here so, its hard to see in the photo but, the one on the left is more of a pale salmon ( as is the pot behind it) and the one on the right is a little deeper of a coral shade. I have a lot of allergies so, I never cut the things from my yard and put them in vases inside so, I decided to do a potted plant of Geraniums for my sample. 

Izzy is trying to decide if Tim on the lawn mower is a better bet for getting that ball in her mouth thrown.  

So, I really wanted something with larger flowers like the sketch in the video ( which is on the left here) but, I could not see it so, I grabbed this stamp that had small flowers and tried to sketch them with a graphite pencil.


But the little details kind of disappeared as the first layers of paint went on the sketch. ( this was done on some Arches cold press cotton paper) 

Second layer of wet paint here. ( hopefully it blends and fades a little when dry) This is Daniel Smith watercolor paints. 

I finished this out with a Classic Cream piece of Neenah that was run through the Anna Griffin Acanthus embossing folder and colored with Distress Oxide inks in a faux Patina type colors. The base is some thinish shimmery light blue and the sentiment here is from the Stampin' Up Teeny tiny wishes set die cut with a Stitched rectangle die. This is 6" square in real life. You can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers to play along with us.  Hope you all are doing well & thanks for stopping by. 








No comments: