6.27.2021

VSN {The fantasy edition}

 You can find all the challenges here in the master list at SCS to read them in order. ( I did not create mine in order but, they are that way here in this post.) 

all of them together

Kim "Fantasy Island" (challenge is to do a tropical island beach scene) I had painted this scene following along with this tutorial seen here in the past, and it was just in the bin waiting for an idea. the sentiment is from Riley & Co.

Misti "Magical friendship" (this was an anything goes friendship card) So, a while back Sabrina hosted a do these doodle birds challenge, and I made a stack of them on scraps of watercolor card and decided to use these chicks with the Picket Fence Studios sentiment.

Fairy Sparkle for Lee, mine has more glimmers than sparkle. I have considered adding some stickles to her. the fairy Seren & Tree of courage are from Lavinia stamps and the sentiment is from Viva Las Vegas Stamps.

Forest of Fangorn for Kim, (this one needed at least 3 trees on it) last week there was a tutorial for the Watercolor to do a crescent moon ( which I did and will post later) and it had this part where you could drip the bottom. ( I did not do that with my moon) but, this the trees were stamped with Distress Oxide inks on some Neenah milstone (80# sheet) and so when I misted the inks with water it beaded up and ran really well, so after it was dry I added some Daniel Smith watercolors over the top, and when that was dry I added some scribbles of pencil for texture. ( the trees here are from the Picket Fence Studios Watercolor trees set)

 


 

Janet has a do a gatefold slimline with a unicorn challenge ( directions for the fold can be found here

This one was a comedy of errors. ( fancy folds frazzle my brain) and I cut the first one as a trial on some white base, and hey, I got it right the first time. So I grabbed a sheet of this green and promptly cut one flap backwards so I had criss cross folds. ( yeah) so, I had this Anna Griffin slimline embossed panel sitting in the backgrounds bin and glued it to one of the flaps and trimmed off the wrong parts of the flap, then lined it on the inside flaps with some neenah solar white. so this card is thick and did not want to lay flat so, I made a belly band out of the other half of the embossed panel. The stamps here are from Lavinia. 

Jen has a Narnia theme for her challenge and you could use any of the books or titles for the inspiration. and I knew I had a Lion stamp ( I thought it was bigger) but, this is the one I found first so, its an older PSX one with a Unity Stamps sentiment. (from the kitty to go set)

Jeanette's challenge is Futuristic, so you needed something that you are older than so it could be back to the future... ( I am older than email...) (you knew that right?) The stamping bella clickabella was colored with watercolors and the sentiment here is from Technique Tuesday's good cardma set.



VSN challenges tend to have one hour time limits of construction... so this is this card at 1 hour and 10 minutes in... The flowers are from the Colorado Craft Co. big and bold line called Daisy & Dahlia. And I had left the paints out on the table during all of these challenges and I knew I needed a piece at least 6 1/2" square to do this stamp on. ( I used the fade out ink to get the no line look) and the pad of Strathmore on the table was too narrow for that, so I decided to open one of the pads of Arches 100% cotton paper I had been collecting and hoarding for when I was you know a little better at painting. This is a couple layers of Daniel Smith, on that and I really felt like it needed some more shading in the cracks but, I was also knowing I was already over the time limit, in for a penny, in for a pound kind of a thought.

For Misti's floral fantasy challenge, this had an additional 20 minutes of pencil added and die cuting and gluing and such. I ended up being surprised by how bold the pencil looked and it did not want to erase much either so, I left it alone before I totally wrecked it.


Rita has a witch challenge.you were to do either a good witch or a bad witch. The Witches hat is also from Colorado Craft Co. and I had previously stamped it on some Neenah environmental dessert storm card ( which is also an 80# cover sheet) and never got any farther with it, so I added some Daniel smith watercolors to it. ( lightly) and hit it with an heat guy.

Sonja has a gilded garden challenge. So you needed a garden scene with gold on it. a couple of weeks ago the Wednesday tutorial for watercoloring was making backgrounds like this with re-inkers. which I did some of those, and then a couple days after that I did some using up paints in the palette. this is one of those and it has some iridescent gold paint in it too. But, I did use ranger super fine gold powder on the Impression Obsession sentiment here.

Brenda has a using the colors from the dragon riders of Pern as a combo challenge. and so, I did the colors on a piece of Strathmore watercolor card and when it dried it was pretty lumpy, so, when I put it in the die/machine it jumped. and I was able to salvage a strip to cross a card front, and ( because, my original thought was to leave the dragon uncolored) because of time but, I did end up adding a little bit of pencil to this PSX dragon because, it was just too plain with out it. the sentiment here is from Viva Las Vegas Stamps.

Holly has a create a burst of powdered watercolors background challenge, and I was totally smurfed again after that. I had all this un-melted bursts of color so I kept spraying the backgrounds I made with more water and it just kept blending them so, I ended up with a mainly blue panel and decided to use this Impression Obsession sentiment on it and then traced it with a white gel pen. sprayed the kraft tag with some of the same colors, and less water and doodled stitching on it too.


Pam has a shimmery wings challenge This "wet wings" is from Lavinia Stamps and is on an older Yupo Background that I think may have been a clean up sheet as there is only slight color on it. I did add some metallic gel pens to the wings and leaves and grass here for some sparkle.


Melody has a "horse" challenge and I took the liberty of using a "sea" horse and Amy has a surf board art collection for this weeks Inspiration. and I picked this board. and combined the two. The seahorse is from Tim Holtz blueprint line and was heat embossed a long time ago on the kraft, I painted in the wells and cut an oval into a scrap to color dust the shabby shutters ink around it. The sentiment is from Lil Inker Designs Just Sayin' set.

Lisa has a fire-breathing dragon challenge ( you needed fire on the card) This stamp caught my eye on Amazon a week or so ago. ( she's cheap at the time I type this) and it made me laugh so, this is another one of those backgrounds with watercolors.

Kelly has a black magic technique challenge. I did this card last in the line up because, I knew I had tossed all my white craft/ pigment ink pads years ago due to lack of consistent good results. but, I had hope that there might be a tiny one inch cube sized pad in one of those kits of the month and I was in luck as somewhere along the lines I had gotten a Hero Arts unicorn mini pad. The Inkadinkado dog was a gift from James & Cortnie a while back. there is some prisma & polychromos pencils over the top of the dried ink.


Nicole has a magical mermaids that need to sparkle challenge. So, I decided it would be easier to you know just color things in a similar kind of a way to save time and I also wanted to use things I have collected and not inked much or ever. this one fell into that from Simon Says Stamp, I bought this set for this sentiment and so, the tail and waves were stamped with fade out ink and I used Daniel Smith watercolors on this one. I think I might add more waves to this or cut the card on the right side.

Lee has a unique ( not shaped like a rainbow arch) but, rainbow colors challenge.  So, I knew I had this border or starfish on the shelf behind the table and I had not ever stamped it yet when I stamped it for the first time on this simple rainbow so, it was a surprise how much black came through because of the detailing. Its a really different look from me, as I hardly ever do brights. and that is all the challenges for this round from me. Thanks for stopping by.







1 comment:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

All so beautiful Stacy what amazing skill and creative mind you have. I have that love with all your heart rubber stamp backed onto wood.
Thank you for sharing Hugs Tracey x