6.06.2023

Watercoloring White Roses

 This week Kia has shared this video from Sandy Allnock on glazing layers of watercolor paint on a white rose. You can find this here on YouTube.  And I decided ( since I had only after work to pull this off today) that I would just start digging through open rose stamps to see if I had a large one. 

I found this one from Stacy Stamps and stamped it with some versafine morning mist on Arches 100% cold press watercolor paper, the paints on that china are Windsor & Newton Raw Sienna, Daniel Smith Transparent rd oxide, Payne's grey blue, Cascade green, aureolin. ( pretty much every color wet was mixed with the Payne's grey blue. there are no straight colors here. 


 what was left of those colors after I stopped painting. ( its an out of order shot but, gives you the idea) the milk glass was found in a thrift store for 2.00 when I was actually out hunting for something to mix paint on as most of my palettes have pretty tiny wells.

I have never colored this image before so, I decided to make the what is probably air space behind the flowers leaves towards the bottom edges and sky towards the top to give some contrast for where the petals were going. 


Second layer of paints. and the reality is, I could have added a lot more layers. And maybe I will next time but, I was trying to get this "good enough" and done. and I have to say sometimes that is a big help for me to have a deadline and not just putter around adding more and more. :)


I trimmed the watercolor panel down with a Tim Holtz deckle edge paper trimmer. backed that with a scrap of darkish grey. and made the base from some greenish grey Bazzill. This is 6" square in real life. and that bottom corner was very neekid looking SO, I found this Riley & Co. sentiment (drop down)  already stamped & diecut (MFT Mod Rectangle) on some Neenah millstone and matted that with the drop piece of dark grey. roughed up all the edges of the dark grey and tucked in some grey shimmer May Arts ribbon around that corner. It's kinda busy now and I am guessing a little different than what I tend to do on a regular basis so, as far as that goes. I am pretty pleased with this. If you'd like to play along with us, you can find this challenge here on Splitcoaststampers. Thanks for stopping by.



No comments: