4.11.2023

Watercoloring Coneflowers

 This week Linda has shared this video here on YouTube from Paintinghyun about doing some wet loose cone flowers.

So, I think as I was doing this I think this works better if you are using a larger piece of paper. I think some things are easier for my brain to shrink then others.And I found this to be a challenge actually.


So, first layer of paint wet, I had drawn these tilted so the perspectives were a little more like the video but, as I added more paint and water to it, It was drying before I could move the paint around this time. It's a funny thing when the weather changes. it really makes a difference.


how that paint dried, I really did not think to much about this and almost tossed it in the discards pile but, there was no time to really start over. 


So, I added more paint over the top of it. ( that tends to work with other things) but, for this particular piece I felt like the whole time I was looking at it, I either should have made these flowers much smaller or made the paper much larger or both. so, at this point this is where I stopped and I may try this again in a more real style the loose thing is hard for me. I did use a size 8 brush on this and the paper is about 4" by 4 1/2" ish. ( its kinda curled at the moment)

 

So, I decided to give it a second chance as I still had these colors left over on the mixing palette. this one is a 6" square piece of Strathmore 400 series watercolor. 

Moving to a larger piece helped I think. but, I did have the same its drying too fast situation happening with the not as good grade of paper. 

Shot this one off the table and it looks a lot darker from this view than real life. It's also close to sundown here. At any rate I think I would like this better if I had tried a few different things regarding that background it just did not take the splatters well as it had taken too long and re wetting it did not go over that well either. 

 If you'd like to give this a whirl you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers to play along with us. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: