4.05.2023

Painting Spring Sheep

 This week Kia has shared with us this Karen Rice video of Spring sheep here on YouTube. I have to be honest, a year ago I probably would have been too intimidated to even watch that video, so today I have to tell you that its not as hard as you might imagine when you view the finished piece she has. ( and she has other season's of sheep so someday I am going to watch them also I think) Anyways, I watched the whole video through from start to finish this time and then I sketched a row of sheep similar to what is shown in the video with a graphite pencil that dissolves in watercolors. 


I messed up the legs on the sheep on the left's front but, I had remembered that she just painted over them anyways. And the thing of it is, if your pencil dissolves, you will have to just make up legs anyways. 

I used my largest ( newest) brush a 16 round to do the water layer on the paper. and then used the 8 to start painting. These are Daniel Smith colors. 


I did give the table salt a try on that first layer of paints. 


when the salt came off, it did work a little bit. I didn't make big clumps of salt for lots of resist though so, its subtle. and or the paper had dried a little too much in the tree's to make it work up there by the time I had paint on the foreground. 


When I started adding my tree trunks I had some challenges with that having some of the trees continue down into the scene (under sheep bellies) so, since the colors were pretty similar it gave my sheep a million legs ha ha. 

The white splatters here are Dr. PH martins bleed proof white, off to the side are all the brushes used on this painting. 

So far its just like so, an A7 Piece of arches cold press cotton watercolor with the scene on it. I have not actually made it into a card front. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers. Thanks for stopping by.



 


No comments: