10.04.2022

Watercoloring Jack-O-Lanterns

 This week Kia has shared with us this tutorial from Harriet DeWinton seen here on YouTube on painting carved pumpkins and I had watched it a while back and did this from memory and instead of drawing a garland of pumpkin lanterns I did grab an older Peddlers Pack Jack O Lantern background stamp because, I knew it was big enough to have wiggle room for the paint to move on it. 

So I started out stamping it with some Simon Says Stamp barely beige ink on Arches 100% cotton cold press watercolor paper and using a very light wash of yellow paint over that.

and I let that dry.


So I washed on more water and started dropping in paint to let it move and some of the spots were not as dry as I thought they were so, I kept adding more water and more paint to try to smooth out some of the edges. 


More paint with some deeper shades and I did sprinkle this with some clear water over the top of it and then decided if I remember right this stamp is not quite fitting into rectangle dies I have so, I decided to add some of the deeper tones to the edges past the natural edge so that if I were to cut it with a die I would not have say two brown to the edges and two white edges. 

I did end up adding more deeper tones to some of the crevices of the cut parts of the face and decided against using a die to cut it out and grabbed some pinking shears instead. The sentiment here is from Karen Lockhart and it was cut with a classic oval deckle edge die from Spellbinders and then I ran the card front ( Papertrey ink canyon) through an Cuttlebug Anna Griffin Herringbone A7 folder on its side. This card is A6 in real life. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers. Hope you are all doing well & thanks for stopping by.



1 comment:

Carlene (aka Chatterbox-1) said...

Fabulous look, Stacy. Love the pinked edges, sentiment, embossed background. All elements and watercoloring coming together for a delightfully scary card!