5.10.2022

Watercoloring a Wisteria covered doorway

 This week Linda has shared with us a Wisteria covered doorway tutorial for the water coloring challenge. (you can find the tutorial here on YouTube) And I loved that so much, I started out you know watching until the first round of paint went on to the first 3 blooms or so and just started sketching and painting mine without watching it all the way through. 


 I recently seen this watercolor paper for half of what they normally sell it for on Amazon so, I tossed a couple packs in the cart as I wanted a new "sketch" book. should have seen my face when I pulled it out of the envelope. (those squares its sitting on are 1 inch in real life) so, this is about a quarter of the size of the last sketch book I had filled. ( It's OK, I just figured I would shoot a shot so I could remember that metric numbers LOOK big but in fact are not) hahaha... 

So, I sketched it with this watercolor soluble pencil and yes, I used a ruler for the door way & no I still did not get it "straight"

But, I didn't really see that until later I was more worried about painting the flowers than sketching a straight door. 

At this point I had hauled this to work this morning to add more paint to it during the slow times as my secretary is on vacation this week and I am spending more time there than I normally do in the later afternoon. The woodgrain, window and door handle were done just with a regular pencil.

When I got home I added just a little bit of black to the handle and window and mail slot. and I decided to diecut it with a Waffle flower A7 rectangle die, and yes even with tons of washi tape on it, it slipped before it went all the way through so, I had a really crooked cut door. 

So out came a smaller die and I did it again with tape wrapped from the front corners all the way around the watercolor paper. 

( I did not tape this to anything, she did not in her video but, I am thinking I got a lot more water on my "cottage walls" than she did. So, this was very warped when dry even after just that first round of paint. 


I nearly left this as just a scrap on the table but, decided to add a Hero Arts sentiment from their House stamp and cut set and layered this to a premade Strathmore watercolor card base with foam tape. ( It's slightly smaller than A7 in real life) That's about it from me, you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers to play along with us. Thanks for stopping by.






No comments: