4.26.2022

Watercoloring Drills Odd Brush Butterflies

 This week marks the 100th Water Color Wednesday daily challenge at Splitcoaststampers. And it happened to be my week to host. and something funny along the way, I have never done anything really "in order" and recently after all this time just for the first time started making swatches of mixed colors of paint and doing that, I came across this practice drill to get those non round brushes wet and see what they will do pattern/stroke wise following along with this tutorial seen on YouTube here.

 So, I pulled the non round brushes out of the ceramic handle-less mug I have them in and funnily enough quite a few of these still had the sizing on them and had not been wet when this was shot.


 So I grabbed my Strathmore practice strokes pad, and this happened to be the last page in it available.



and I jotted down notes under the "wings" so I could remember what I did since I have more than a handful of brushes.


Second layer or paint doodles were added with ha, you guessed it a round brush.

And I decided my favorite was the one that says it was made with the 1/4" stripper. So I tried to recreate it below. yeah, we can see how well that went.. And Then I grabbed an odd sheet and tried it again with colors I like instead of just random colors. 


And I liked my abstract moth butterflies much better seeing them in similar shades of blues and greens.



So I chopped that sheet up and started messing around with sentiments on similar shades of cardstocks.


And ended up with a couple of cards. 


This one that sentiment is from Stampendous. This one is 6" square in real life. the blue mat was part of a premade cardbase that was for an A7 size from paper source but, it was not wide enough for 3 panels to go across it so, I used two of them here and then used the third on a second card seen below.


This one is 5 1/2" square in real life and the blue panel was cut from the back side of that first card that I chopped up and the green here is SU soft seafoam. the long sentiment "how to fly" is from Penny Black and the bottom one "spread your wings" is from Impression Obsession.

The whites on both cards are Neenah solar white. the painted panels are Strathmore 400 series cold press. That's about if from me, I hope you are enjoying playing along with these challenges as we learn together. You can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers. thanks for stopping by.


No comments: