1.18.2022

watercoloring {an abstract ocean sunset}

 This week the watercoloring tutorial is following along with this sunset done in some abstract nearly pastel shades seen here

The first trial with this was done inside the strathmore practice pad I have been using for strokes and things.(the one on the left seen below)


and I was really not impressed with the waves or the sun it self so, I watched the video again and seen there was a lot more pink on the water, which ended up being the second trial on the right.

and I had it in my head this would look better as a skinny scene maybe a scene that was divided into thirds and you know with lots of white space. So, I grabbed another sheet, and did not tape it off and tried it again.

which is that messy edge one on the near right/bottom of this view. and I was like OK the sun & clouds are getting better here but, still not what I wanted to see. I think it was really hard to do this in these colors as abstract is not my thing. and I knew I had some brighter colors in those prima palettes so, that is what these first three were done with.


So, I told my self ok lets do this one more time, and this time I taped off a skinny space in the center of a sheet (slightly crooked) but, the white space was the main goal and I used the Kuretake gansai paints for a color change. and I think this is OK. I mean it was OK enough to die cut it with a pink fresh studio slim stitched rectangle die ( one of the ones with no stitches on it) and mounted it to some Stampin Up strawberry cardstock. I think this is one of those things that gets better with time but, it is going to take a lot more paper and time to improve this one on my end I think. ( the wadded paper towel for the sun lifting spot did not go well on the strathmore paper, it made the paper pill) so, with more practice on the waves, maybe I will feel better about practicing this on better paper. It's kind of a funny thing how some things I just know will be better on better paper and other things I get cheap in my mind and practice practice err bang my head on the wall using the cheaper paper. I probably should just move the cheaper paper to my die cut it up pile and stop trying to paint scenes on it, but that hasn't happened yet. I am moving closer in that direction though. That's about it from me, you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers to play along with us. Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: