11.23.2023

Watercolored Diecut Candles

 While I was watching the video last weekend for the candle challenge that went live yesterday, I did think the back of my mind this could be a cool back drop for diecut candles. So, while everything was still out did give it a whirl with this Memory Box Glowing candles die.


So, the thought I had was to save some white space for the diecut colors. So I cut a couple candles and then used a pencil to do a shadow outline for the diecut on the background. ( this is a water soluble pencil) so, I knew it was just a general guide and not a hard and fast sketch.

So the sketched panel got a background coat of paint and then I started painting one of the candle die cuts with the same colors. 

So after that round of paints had dried I did glue the first diecut onto the background so that I could start adding some shadows to it. the Second diecut I switched the colors a little. I doubt I have ever done blue candles in the history of ever but, some of the people playing in the challenge did theirs as Blue and it made an impression on me.

A little more paint on. I did use the nib for some feathery foliage on the top piece also.


The did get even more paint since the previous photo. The base on the left is a shimmer from a bulk pack of cards from Micheal's a few years back. ( maybe Joann's) and the one on the right was some Bazzill I ran the cover through the big shot inside a Penny Black allover stitches folder to give it some subtle texture.  I also added some clear stickles glitter glue to the one on the right and when I thought it was dry enough to glue to the base, I found that it was not all the way dry so, there is stray glitter in the bokeh ha ha. Christmas cards are supposed to shine right? That's my story at the moment and I am sticking to it. On the one on the left I did pick it up in the air and add more paint to the very edges of the diecut so, there is not white edges as you tilt it. The sentiment on that one is from a Tim Holtz Sticker pad. the sentiment on the right is from a Crafters Companion Sam Poole set called Snowman kisses. If you'd like to play along with us the challenge with links to the tutorial can be found here at Splitcoaststampers. Happy Thanksgiving & thanks for stopping by.




No comments: