2.07.2023

Watercoloring a Winter scene

 Hi, it's my turn to host the Watercoloring tutorial challenge at Splitcoaststampers this week and I have chosen this scene done by Julia Lis Art seen here on YouTube. I just loved everything I seen in the thumbnail of that one and was really looking forward to seeing it come together. 

First round of paints that I walked away from. This Arches watercolor paper was cut to A6 in real life so I could mount it when finished on an A7 cardbase. 

round 2 layers, one of the interesting thing about this is. When I take these still life shots and really look at them ( which I do when I am cropping them on the phone) it makes me really look at it in a different way then just looking at the painting does. 

So, this was third round of painting and a few minutes after this was shot added more paint.


added more to the pine sprigs and such.made the branches brown.

Started in with the snow ( used bleed proof white here) and walked away to see if it was going to need a second layer ( she mentions in her video she used acrylic paint with some water and then did a few layers) 

I did add more snow, and the bird. and I did not sketch a single thing on this just painted it, because I went in stages of letting it dry in sections it didn't seem like it needed to be drawn. I was a little nervous about the bird and I am not so sure he is all that scale wise but, its a cool scene. especially for a first trial thing. I did skip the pine cones in the branches and I did add brown to the branches. 


 Finished out on some pale green textured Bazzill up on foam tape. I really like this one and will probably do things I learned doing this on other snow scenes later which is what is exciting to me. If you'd like to play along with us, this challenge can be seen here at Splitcoaststampers. I hope you are all doing well, thanks for stopping by.






No comments: