7.16.2024

Watercoloring an Autumn Lake scene

 This week Angie has chosen this watercolor tutorial seen here on YouTube from Ahmadart on doing a Autumn Lake scenery. So, I had some already cut watercolor paper in the drawer and I had a suspicion it was the strathmore (not cotton arches) but, putting down the first layers of water confirmed that and so, I kept painting anyways.

The paper curled instantly taped to the glass mat. and I let this dry like this. 

It actually flattened out when drying so, I did add more tape and do the water part of the scene. 

I did not have the same colors used in the tutorial for the sky/water but, I think the mountain & reflection are the same colors although no matter how much I mixed mine, they just did not have that little bit of water to be more mud like, when I got the paint thicker it dried all the way in the pallet. ( its hot here and the humidity is very low) 


So, when I pulled off the second piece of tape I seen that the water bled into the sky/mountains so, I thought this is just a trial run anyways to see if it will work on this paper.

And  then I had the bright idea to add water to the back side of the painting and the glass mat to let it stick. ( it did not stick like a cotton paper would have) so, I put this into my big shot and smooshed it under the rollers and let it dry there being pressed flatter.


The horizon line is pretty dark here to me but, I also found that none of my brushes are all frayed so, I started with a small flat brush but, that made more lines than splotches so, I just grabbed an Size 6 round and started making dots for the leaves. 


I did add some detailing ( dark) to the shadows of a few of the branches and the trunk and some white lines to the still water and some "highlighted" leaves but, I am not seeing much difference here with it yet. I am waiting for it to be finally dry to decided if it really needs something else. 

I did end up just a few more spots of paint to the previously white lines in the water and the leaves as what was there dried to almost gone so, I touched them up and then mounted this to some very pale blue/grey textured cardstock that was cut to 5 3/4" square in real life. That's about it from me, if you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. thanks for stopping by.






No comments: