10.08.2024

watercoloring Tree's drills

 This week Brenda is sharing a video from Joe Cartwright with tips on painting better looking trees in watercolor landscapes seen here on YouTube. There is a lot of information in this video and I feel like I forgot a lot of it by the time I started to paint so, its one of those things I will have to see several times I think later. I did watch the whole thing before I started to paint, and I also grabed a sheet of the same textured Artists loft watercolor paper I used last week and I started with a leafy type tree in Autumn colors.


I did this with a script and a fan brush and Daniel Smith paints.

and then I thought oh, yeah you can use that brush to do poplar type trees. Sure.


which did not go so well for me, this will take some practice. (this may be the first time I have used these fan brushes, I can't remember using them before anyways) 

So then I tried a conifer type tree and I really liked how this one turned out color & shape wise so, I cut it off the sheet and made it a Christmas card.


I did add a little more paint to this there was just not quite enough depth to the places my mind said there should be shadows. The frame here is from the Mama Elephant deckled frames set ( it really makes a solid rectangle) so, I used an Hero Arts nesting rectangle to turn it into an actual frame. The edges were inked with some DOX vintage photo. That tree printed paper is from an Hobby Lobby pad and the sentiment here is from Tim Holtz stamped on a Justrite tag die and tied onto the sheer ribbon with some natural hemp string. This one is 5 1/2" square in real life as most of the 6" cards I have mailed the last few months the envelopes are something like 1/4 maybe 1/8" larger than the post offices "large envelope" limit so, those cards were mailed as "packages" and I am trying to get my sizes smaller before Christmas as that is a big bulk mail thing right? :) That's about it from me, if you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. thanks for stopping by.


No comments: