1.16.2024

Watercoloring Simple Hearts

 It's my turn to host the water coloring challenge at Splitcoaststampers and when I was trolling video tutorials at YouTube after Christmas this one by Marena Art seen here on YouTube caught my eye. I think it was the 3-D heart that most interested me as I seen it and her color combo's. I know she makes her own paints and the colors I have from Daniel Smith I do not even come close in the pink ranges when I am messing around with mine so, I knew it would be different right off the bat. One of the tips in that video is she is using up not so great watercolor card to do the simple cards from rather than using the good stuff. and I do have a small stack of Strathmore student grade papers to use up still so, I started by chopping up a 12" square sheet into two A6 cards and one drop piece.


The drop piece received water and splatters and random mixes of pinks. I knew going into this that I wanted a 3-D card and I did not want the hearts to be perfect and as I was doing this I intended to grab a primitive heart die but, I decided to just wing it instead.

So, it turned out not so primitive or perfect and I was OK with the colors. 


I knew for the second one that I did not want to doodle that ribbon fold for the heart texture and decided to do 2 overlapping hearts instead. these are just free hand ones and you know it's hard to see the clear water when you make the shape but, all in all I think these are just fine for simple balloon shapes.

When all the paints were dry I did cut a second heart out of the drop piece for the Valentines day card on the right and did use a piece of score tape to attach it. I had originally started out with the top heart being nearly the same size as the flat painted one but, I wanted the flat one to peek out around it so I did trim that top heart a couple of times to get it smaller and then doodled some stitching along the edges of both. The doodles and balloon strings were done with an Micron pen (both cards) and the reverse printed sentiments are from Simon Says Stamp. that is so handy I think to just pop those sheets in the trimmer and have something ready to go. That's about it from me, I hope you are doing well & thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS.




No comments: