8.28.2019

WOYWW # 534 {Foiled Christmas cards}

Happy desk peeking day, if you'd like to see more spaces or play along 
the link up for this blog hop starts here at our hostess
There is also a new Instagram hashtag of #WOYWW

 This is a Wednesday AM shot of the desk, those foiled pieces were done over the last weekend and that is as far as I got with them, the 4th one was turned into a card and its the one in the very bottom of this post. The solid green piece is dyed cork paper, I had thought I was going to use it with the foiled green card because of the texture contrast but, ended up changing my mind. The paint is there from that stenciled debossed tutorial I tried a few weeks back the one that turned out better is under that pile of clear blocks. The random sentiments were stamped on scraps to cut and use later they are "drying" ( well, they are probably done dried by now its been hot here too hot to go up and play after work. there are more of them on the paper cutter to the right that you cannot see in this shot.)

 This is how that first opal foil on the red turned out, I did cut out the center as the foiling showed off how uneven I had gotten the paste.

 Now this one I probably should have just tossed it, but I have a hard time doing that. and for the most part I like rustic and distressed things but, with the stark white background these red poinsettia's I think need to be perfectly foiled and would be more elegant. So, I had the bright idea to cut some off using it to try last week's sketch. but, I really do not like how this finished out and I may just toss it yet.

Now this was one of the pieces that got foiled last weekend. and I was so excited that it looked perfect when it was done. ( I used a shim and only ran it through the laminator once)
and then when I went to make it into a card it kept flaking. so I took a paintbrush and ran that over it trying to knock off what ever was "loose" and now, its not perfect anymore. ( and I have a feeling it will just continue to flake over time) these were all done with the foil transfer paste from deco foil along with their foils.

Part of me is very tempted by a glimmer machine or a what ever the gemini version is called.  ( I did watch some video's of them being used last weekend too) and somehow I did end up with one foiling die from the last time I went into hobby Lobby and that is what I think sparked this whole how do you use this stuff adventure.
the pro's for the gemini version is ( its cheaper and I have a gemini Jr machine already)
the pro's for the spellbinders version is supposedly you can use other brands of regular dies in it. ( of which I have a ton of regular dies) (but, I do not know how this machine will run through a bigshot Pro and I have a feeling it will not fit through the old spellbinders pink shoot what ever it was called that only took slim dies through it machine?

(and I really do not want to have to buy another die cutter.)

So that brings me to the burning question I have. Does anyone actually have either of the foiling machines? do you really get perfect results with it or are you still killing a lot of paper in the learning curve?

That's about it from me, thanks for stopping by.


12 comments:

glitterandglue said...

Hi Stacy. Sorry I can't help with info re a foiling machine... not even sure I would know one if it got up and bit me!! Teehee. I hope you get the help you need, because it's frustrating when things don't turn out how the book says they should.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #3

Caro said...

I love the cards even with their so called imperfections. I have never tried foiling in any shape or form so can't help I am afraid. Good luck with getting it sorted/ Have a lovely week. With love & God Bless, Caro x (#11)

Helen said...

I've never done any foiling but think your cards look great - even the poinsettias which you're not sure about. hope you source a machine if you decide to! Helen #1

Rita said...

Hi Stacey. Never tried foiling at all, but your cards do look amazing. I'm sure you will make the right decision eventually. Enjoy your week. Hugs Rita xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The cards look great to me. I've done foiling by stamping with glue and then attach the foil but never worry if it's a bit untidy, quite like it a bit grungy. Have a great crafty week and a happy woyww, Angela x8x

Carmen said...

As someone who adores grunge and imperfections and collects bits of old rust off the roads for my projects... I really , really cannot see anything wrong with your cards - love the effect and thought you'd done it deliberately.

I can't help with the machines you mention as I never knew they existed. Have a lovely week.

Carmen x #30

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your cards are fabulous Stacy, imperfections (although I can not see any) give each one it's own personality. I have no idea about foiling the nearest I get to glimmer is flakes but it may be a great investment if you intend using those foils regularly. Beautiful designs.
Have a super week & thanks for sharing WoywW Tracey #15

Sarah Brennan said...

I have a Minc Stacy and as long as you use the appropriate foil and have a laser printer it works brilliantly. The advantage is that anything you can print you can foil. I have heard that you can use the minc foil through a laminater over laser printed card/paper but I haven't tried it for myself. Love the cards, even if you don't think they're perfect. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #7

Glenda said...

Your projects, to my eye, are simply lovely! I have no experience with a foil machine so I'm no help at all. So sorry!
Glenda #16

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi stacy, no I don't have a foiling machine, I still use my laminator. It can help to put a sheet of cardstock under your foiled project when you put it into whatever you use to feed it through the laminator, and sometimes it also helps to run it through a second time. I'm loving what you've done here, think they look great. But I agree it can be annoying when things don't come out as perfect as we expect. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 X

Julia Dunnit said...

I cannot help, I have a scan and Cut and will possibly invest in a foiling quill, but not for a while yet. Totally see why you want to avoid another die cutting machine; it would be enough to make me go back to old fashioned glue foiling to be honest. Having said that, the larger foiled areas like the poinsettias look fab, and I dont think you should consider tossing that card, you’re over thinking the finish!!

Sue Jones said...

I am trying hard to ignore the foiling machines as I just dont have the room for another machine! Eeek. Good luck , all your cards look great reguardless of the foiling results.
Soojay 24