6.25.2024

Watercoloring Windy shore Grass

 This week Linda is sharing a video tutorial seen here on YouTube from Paul Clark on adding movement to watercolor and I chose to do the wind blown grass rather then the horse although I did consider using a stamp for a moving critter or person stamp and trying this idea with one of those and I may down the road this seemed like a good trial thing to give a whirl. ( grass is pretty easy to me now and a few years ago it stressed me out) 

I did not sketch this I just did something similar to what I remembered seeing in the video. ( I watched this last week and did this painting this afternoon after work today) 


I cut a piece of strathmore 400 series wc paper to 5 1/2" square because, I think I remember him saying this would work better on not cotton paper. I did give the back side of this two washes of plain clear water along with a layer of water under that on the glass mat. ( It does not work as well as it does on cotton paper but, I gave it a whirl) 

I let it get to damp status ( which happens fast at 90 degrees outside) and added some grass as a base layer and a little more color to the ground area. 

And then I did the dunk the corner of a paper towel in the clean water to drag some of the paint to the right as the wind is blowing from left to right in this scene. 


I did let the paper dry before I added all the bits you see to the foreground here and then I did add more as seen below. 

Added a little more grass and some more color/texture to the ground. Probably should have more grass here looking at his painting but, I am pretty tickled with how this turned out for adding the movement to the grass. I did add lib some flying birds into the sky and at some point when I make a decision I may add a sentiment to this and finish it into a card. ( that's debatable right now) I am also considering adding say a person in beach attire to the scene and just paper piecing them in done on a different sheet of wc paper. So, this is where things stand now. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. Thanks for stopping by!




No comments: