6.18.2024

Watercoloring Crashing Waves

 This week Brenda has shared this video from Joe Cartwright called Crashing Waves Crookhaven Heads Seen here on YouTube. Be advised this is a long very informative tutorial and he paints like a photograph. That being said I almost walked away about half way through mine as I could see the flaws. I did do a simple sketch based off his but, more simple and I eliminated the rocks at the very bottom of the painting, as I had cut this piece of Arches cold press to A6 in real life. 

And I did do that with the water soluble pencil. and I did wet the back side of this paper twice and the glass mat on the table once. So, the paper did stick to the glass in the center. the edges did get a little warped. 


the backside getting wet, I did mix some sky and water colors but, not at the mud consistency that he shows as, by the time I got it light enough it was fairly watery. but, I was also trying for a cardfront not wall art so, I figured it would work.

so, first layer of paint. I did not finish the water and sky in one go as I kept going back and forth from this table to my laptop and so. 


I did try the tissue thing in the sky to soften the left side of the water spray. And the whites in the wave folding over went kaput already.

more paints added and this was around the time where I thought maybe I would just start over again. 

Started adding some rocks to the right and through the top third of the painting through the waves. 


I was mostly thinking I had totally overworked the water by this point but, decided to keep going to see if adding some shadows after it dried again if it would be "OK" for a cardfront. 

I ended up adding a whole second layer of paint to the sky so that there would be a little more contrast between it and the where the water spray should be since the color was so faint. did soften the left side of the spray again with a tissue. 

And then I decided it really needed more bright white so I grabbed the jar of Dr. PH Martins bleed proof white and added drops to the spray and wave fold and shore line foam bubble areas. 


What the painting finished at looking like. I did like how he matted his painting at the end so I dug out this Time For Tea A6 stitched frame die and cut one from some Sundance bright white felt textured cardstock and the opening for that was going to require cutting the painting down. So, I did work it closer to the top.

And then I did use foam tape under that to mount this to the same cardstock as a base. That's about it from me, If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. Thanks for stopping by.







No comments: