6.11.2024

Watercoloring from Dots

 This week Angie is sharing this sketchy bloom done from dots of watercolor paint and a flat brush that you can see here on YouTube. By Maremi Simplecraft. So, I had a small pile of scraps of good Arches cold press watercolor paper and I decided since both of my good flat brushes were 3/4" wide that they would work to look for a color combo that might not make mud and practice the strokes.

These are all done with Daniel Smith watercolors on cotton paper and the solid ish purply one was kind of pretty and then I grabbed the "cotton" Strathmore notebook and tried it again. 

My black pen bled way more than hers did. 

A closer look at that. so, at this point I thought maybe try some different paints, and I grabbed a 12" square sheet of Strathmore 400 Series wc paper and the Mijello Mission Gold watercolors 


 And I found this 2" flat brush I found in a jar I had not played with before and have since forgotten why I picked it up. so. this first trial I did get a little bit more of a look on the first stroke that looked a little more like what she did. 


Evidently I didn't take a photo of the third one but, after it went along with the petal type strokes I ended up dragging the brush over the whole piece and then splattering all over it. one thing about this paint and paper combo. it stained the paper where those dots rested while I was making the dots on the paper to drag through. interesting. I did want to make something with these so, I actually started die cutting some of the trials with these bitty tiny Gummiapan dies that came in the mail last week from a store in Southern California called Color Me Nordic.  and I did get a card done that I will post some time after Father's day as it does not look at all like a sketchy flower. That's about it from me, if you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. Thanks for stopping by.




No comments: