5.23.2023

Watercoloring Loose Butterflies

 This week Linda has chosen this video from Diane Antone Studios. And I have been given and collecting some different brands of Cotton watercolor paper notebooks and decided to grab this one from Strathmore. You can click on any photo to enlarge them, just hit your browsers back button to continue reading.

I decided that even though a whole bunch of these video's the person is teaching how to paint something scaled to say frame or hang on the wall, I tend to paint things that will fit on a card front and with that thought in the back of my mind I am going to spend some time the next little while trying their ideas on smaller scaled paper. I have found this paper in a larger size on Amazon but, this one in particular seems to be sold out at the moment.


 I did use a water soluble pencil to sketch this first one on the left, and that being said it may have been a better idea to use a pen or a pencil that was not going to be absorbed by the paints. ( if you were going for that sketchy look after the paint dries) 


First round of paints on that first butterfly. These were Daniel Smith paints used here with a size 8 round brush.


This smaller blues one has a little bit of one of the iridescent green ish colors dropped in. (Ocean? something like that it shimmers. will edit.) 


Decided to go yellows & oranges for the third. 


and a combo of pink/purples for the 4th. adding a few more pencil lines over the top as it was drying.

I forgot the splatters but, I am OK with that. I think since this is a skinny landscape that the splatters may have overwhelmed the wings here. At any rate I really enjoyed watching the paints move on these and may do it again some time. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers to play along. Thanks for stopping by.





No comments: