9.22.2026

Watercoloring a simple Forest Reflection

 Hello & Welcome back, It's my turn to host the watercoloring tutorial challenge at Splitcoaststampers and I had come across this video on YouTube that I loved the colors of and it was a 10 minute video so, that meant more people would be willing to stop and watch it so, I set it aside and at the time I thought oh, cool summer note cards... and today is the first day of Fall. funny how that happens right? It was suggested that this idea could also work very easily for an autumn scene just by changing your colors you choose. I did find that the closed captioning did not work for me I think it was a translation issue so, I just watched it and then did what I wanted and or could remember. One thing the artist does is she uses several brushes during the painting so, I did mess around with some of my non round brushes to do this. 

I did try the initial horizon line with a fan brush, that did not go well for me. I did not have a big enough pool of paint to dip in. ( I am more used to making smaller pools for round brushes ha ha) and so, as I was shooting this shot I thought ( while it was still wet) you are going to need more paint than that so, I did add more real quick. 

Like so, and since my horizon line was so sketchy I did every time I added paint to this add more paint to that line on both the trees and the water sides. 


 I knew the waterline side needed to be more blurry but, I did try to save some calm for the center and I probably got my tree/bush edges a little dark for the leaves that would come later but, I just kept going.


 I had let it dry and then I came in and added some tree trunks and branches to the shore line and the reflection. I had thought ok your trees are way far away and you can get away with the the tiny look. 

And I started using a script liner brush to add my closer tree cluster and I knew that horizion line was pretty dark but, I just kept going with it. 


 

I started adding leaves to the close tree branches and by the time I got to this part, I really could not remember what I had seen in the video anymore so I just willy nilly added leaves in various paints from what is in the background more or less.


 Right about here Hubs needed something and since I have not really been painting or doing anything crafty I just grabbed this shot and walked away. This is the piles of brushes that were used on that painting. 


 On Monday after work ( all the previous shots are from last Saturday) I did add a few more leaves and a darker line of paint to the forest side of the reflection on the Horizon line. and I knew it was way dry that paper and I told my self if I used too much water and it all cauliflower-ed on me it was just going to become ground line foliage lol. 

Today was just a rinse and repeat of all the other days that have blurred together before this one. I was officially named chief scapegoat er Executor of my parents estate on Monday and I hear from someone or several someone's every day with the list of wants or needs.  It was a welcome mental break to have 15 minutes to just play with this. I knew it had to stay simple so, I used these Simon Says Stamp notched rectangle dies to cut it out and down a little. The arches was cut to A6 in real life before I started painting. So the base here is some SU Pear and it is A6. The sentiment here is from the MFT bitty thanks & gratitude set and it was cut with an Avery Elle or Lawn fawn banner die and is up on foam pop dots. That's about it from me, if you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. Thanks for stopping by. 
 

No comments: