2.27.2024

Watercoloring Snowdrops

 This week Brenda has chosen this video seen here on YouTube doing snowdrop flowers called easy watercolour snowdrops in the snow by Harriet de Winton. So it's been a while and I know a few years ago probably there was a snowdrop challenge that I did not try, it looked so intimidating to me. I seem to have a mental hang up on sketching the paintings as a start so, I grabbed a sheet of cold press arches, and made my self draw the flowers from what I remembered of the video.

Okay I thought you can do this.

Promptly painting a wash over the sketch and then remembered it needed masking fluid... so did a second sketch. 

"tilted" my masking fluid, it was a  glumpy mess. and I could see it was not smooth to the lines but, decided to let it dry and see what happened. 

This was the first sketch when it dried I decided to try some white bleed proof white over the dried places to see what it would dry like. (sometimes that dries grey instead of white) 


So meanwhile added some wash over the glumpy dried fluid. 

another round of paints. 


Took off the masking fluid and decided to try adding the paint details to the blooms, they were pretty ragged looking so. 

Out came another sheet for third times a charm painting, 


Same masking fluid, I shook that bottle until it looked like fluid in it, it did work but, if yours is a glumpy mess tilting it is not going to cut it. 


I should start by saying I used some of the same colors she mentions and others I just used what was near me, I do not have the same colors and I have never seen these blooms in real life so, I was not really all that sure what colors the caps near the petals should be or the veins on the petals.

I decided to add some bleed proof white to the "snow" 


After this round of paint I left it to dry for a couple of days, its been stormy here while this was being painted and Its hard to judge just how "dry" a wash is to me when my hands are cold. 

I cut the painting (twice) with a spellbinders postage edge square dies and then taped them back together on the back side. The sheer is some really old from Stampin' Up called going grey, the base is unknown and its 6" square in real life. There is no greeting because, I do not know what I want to do with this one as of yet. That's about it from me, If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS. thanks for stopping by.








No comments: