2.07.2024

Painting a Winter Scene

 This week Kia has shared this video seen here on YouTube from Ellen Crimi-Trent called Easy winter watercolor tutorial. 

So, it starts with a wash of blues and greys with some white gouache splatter to be falling snow. that you let dry.


I was thinking colors are not quite deep enough so, I totally put on a second layer of water, wash and splatters over the top of this then walked away. It's really cold here compared to last week so, it took a very long time to get "mostly' dry, not really dry.

I was using windsor & newton white gouache here and I was having a hard time getting gradients of it so, I did go to deal with dinner and such at this point and I never made it back up the stairs last night. I am debating about if I want to switch some of the snow to be Bleed Proof white and or I do have white shimmer watercolors also. So, these are things I am thinking about. part of my brain says if the wind is whipping those branches to the side like this the snow should be more flurried to the right also, So I have lots of snow to add I think before this will become something. 

added some more "snow" and the opal blue (white) has blue catch lights you can kind of see it with the paper on an angle like this.


A little more snow as added after work today.


What the painting looked like after I stopped adding snow to it. 

Dug out two of these Tim Holtz chipboard window frames and used glue dots to put it over the painting, the large "snow" made me think bokeh effect and so to me that meant seeing the scene through glass. So I decided after the frames were glued down to add a few sparkled Stardust glitter glue in a few spots. The Happy Winter is an Savvy Stamps and its on an Spellbinders justrite tag die tied to the window frame with some May Arts iridescent cord. The finished size of this is A6 on some textured cordinations cardstock. That's about it from me, Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at SCS.


1 comment:

Patricia said...

What a brilliant idea to add the window panes, Stacy! Perfect way to keep that storm outside. Love this!