4.16.2024

Watercoloring an Orange

 This week Linda has shared this tutorial from Nikki Hess seen here on YouTube to make an orange circle have some depth to look like an loose orange fruit. I did watch the video all the way through before starting and I knew I have not spent much time doing circular strokes so, I grabbed the notebook pad and decided to use it.


Not really wanting to sketch the circle I just winged it with a paint brush. ( this is an Strathmore 500 series travel pad) which is supposed to be cotton but, its not the same quality of cotton as Arches, so I feel better about practicing on it than on 400 series Strathmore student papers. 

next layer of paints and keep in mind these photos are cropped so, I actually could see the detailing better after I had shot the snap shots with my cell phone, cropped them and uploaded them to a computer screen.

Which is when I decided I did not like that line near the top third of the circle so, more paint and water came out right after this was shot.


 next round of paints 

I did add a smidge of green to that orange in a couple of spots but, the orange over powered it and you really can't see it.

At this point I decided I really don't like this scrubbing in circles motion and I just wanted it to be done ( and not have such lines. but, I know that part of that is this paper. 

Added a shadow and a little more orange to the very bottom edge. I did not let it dry completely from the last layer so, this is where I stopped. not so sure it looks like a fruit orange but, I have a hard time with "loose" most of the time :) That's about it from me, if you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers. Thanks for stopping by.








No comments: