10.06.2026

Watercoloring a Weeping Willow Tree

 This week Ann is sharing this video tutorial on doing a dry brush style weeping willow tree seen here on YouTube by Olga Koelsch called easy watercolor weeping willow. So, I watched the part where she did the background then walked away to let it dry, and I did try a simple sketch.

And the thing is I am using a water soluble pencil for these sketches so, I knew doing the background I was going to have to remember where the lines were for the tree. so, I did not do that many of them.


 

I think of these tutorials like a memory game, what do you remember. well this is what I remembered and when I turned the video back on where I had stopped and she starts in on the tree trunk I realized. I had totally spaced having a horizon line haha.

So I added in a slight green tinted line to the horizon. maybe its far away bushes and such... I didn't try to make it into any thing. 


 

I went back and started watching the video and started in with some squiggly branches and a trunk and some leaves. I did consider going outside to look at the colors of mine. I bought a stick Weeping willow tree for 10.00 about what 18 years ago? maybe less, its a pretty big tree they grow quick with enough water so, mine ( I think without looking) the end branches tend to lean a little more on the green side so, I thought lets just wing it.

I decided the branches needed to kiss towards the ground more, remembered the "shadow" part. I don't really remember any of the colors of paints she may have mentioned and mine are a mix mostly of what ever was close by in the palette. And this is where I stopped. This is some Arches cold press with Daniel Smith paints and I did all of it with just the one brush. I am trying to decided what else I want to add to this scene, mine is a hiding spot for all the birds that think they are being so stealthy while they stalk my process of refilling the bird feeders in my yard ha ha. ( so my tree tends to have quite a bit of noise coming through the leaves ) That's about it from me, I hope you are doing well. If you'd like to play along with us you can find this challenge here at Splitcoaststampers. Thanks for stopping by. 
 

 

No comments: